Canton - China
Commonly known as Canton, Guangzhou is the third largest city in China. Today the city is wrapped in modernism but if you take a glimpse into its vibrant past, it will take you back in time to the Qin Dynasty of 214 BC. The city’s strategic location between Macau and Hong Kong has made it a popular destination amongst both business travelers and tourists alike. Not very long ago Canton demonstrated rampant urbanization with tasteless architecture and congested traffic jams but at present the city has been stripped of its unattractive appearance and given a delightful makeover. The Canton you see today is a fast moving city with exquisite architecture and cosmopolitan edge. However, the city still offers a glimpse of its vibrant history and does not fail to satisfy the travelers who are thirsty for Canton culture and tradition.
Apart from many other things Guangzhou is most popular for the wide array of Cantonese cuisines that it offers. Here are the top four things you can see, do and experience during your stay in Canton.
If you visit a city with so much of historical heritage, it is simply a waste not to discover some of its beautiful culture. Even if you’re not so much the ‘culture vulture’ traveler, we recommend you check out at least few locations.
- The Chen Clan Ancestral Hall is now the Guangdong Folk Art museum but it was once the accommodation and preparation hall for the Chen family’s imperial examinations during the Qing Dynasty.
- Xiguan Dawu is the centre of old Guangzhou culture. These are big and old buildings built over 100 years ago.
- Cantonese cuisines are considered to be China’s haut cuisine. The list of ‘popular’ dishes is endless so when you get to the city ensure you try out a variety of flavours. If you are picky on meats then make sure you check what goes into your dish because there’s an age old Cantonese saying that the only four-legged things that Cantonese people won't eat are tables and chairs!
- The Canton Tower is the unmistakable landmark of Guangzhou City and it is situated in Zhuhai District. The Guangzhou New Library and Guangzhou Opera House are two other significant modern architectural masterpieces.
- If you are in any part of China shopping can unveil some exciting things for both men and women of all ages. For bargain shopping you can try out Beijing Road, Mouse Street Shopping Centre and Haizhu Square. But if you want to get your hands on big brands then try The Palace Mall in China Hotel and Taikoo Hui which are upscale shopping malls.
- You can find cheap flights to Canton if you book your air ticket on www.findmyfare.com. We are the ONLY online company that offers the lowest airfare rates in the country and that’s a guarantee! You can check out our list of flights to China through the website and make your reservation in minutes.